photo 5135a210-3851-42fb-897f-39c11bf1e632_zps36fe5f5b.jpg      photo 5f25d283-4db2-4972-a7ed-c19822beff2f_zpsd617421f.jpg       photo bf01808e-cb11-4221-9c9c-6c737d95ddc4_zpse2129334.jpg

Sunday 9 December 2012

Homemade Gingerbread Men Presents


A lot of people don't know this about me but I love to bake. Rarely do I bake for myself though, it's usually for the family & friends as I find once I've baked something I no longer want to eat it (maybe it's beacuse I insist on licking the bowl & spoons once used!) One of my favourite things to make & my favourite festive thing are gingerbread men. They are so easy to make & you can blast the Christmas tunes and have a really fun afternoon if you have nothing else to do!
 
Here's what you need.

350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
125g/4½oz butter
175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
1 free-range egg
4 tbsp golden syrup
 
I used double the amount of ingredients as I wanted to make LOADS! (I have a mini man cutter & other shapes and made around 100 biscuits!)
 
 

 
1. Put your oven on at 180 degrees. Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.

 
2. Add the butter and mix with a electric whisk.
 
 
3. Lightly beat the egg & golden syrup in a bowl and then add to the mixture. Whisk the mixture together until it clumps together.


 
4. Knead the mixture for a few minutes, wrap in clingfilm & put in a fridge for 15 minutes.
 

 
5. Using plain flour on a surface use a rolling pin and roll out bits of the dough until about half a centimetre thick. Get your cutters ready!
 

 
6. Add baking paper to your tins and pop your shapes into the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Wait to cool down.
 

 
7. Use writing icing decorate your army of men however you want!
 
 




 
Finally gift wrap away. I opted for old pasta bake jars, covered the lid with some wrapping paper and put some twine around it. I think it looks rather cute & everyone I have given one to so far seems to like the idea!
 
A thoughtful yet inexpensive Christmas present!
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment