photo 5135a210-3851-42fb-897f-39c11bf1e632_zps36fe5f5b.jpg      photo 5f25d283-4db2-4972-a7ed-c19822beff2f_zpsd617421f.jpg       photo bf01808e-cb11-4221-9c9c-6c737d95ddc4_zpse2129334.jpg

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Restaurant Review - Felix Yu.



Something completely different from me today. A few weeks ago me and my best schools buds went out for our friend's birthday. We have 3 birthday's within 12 days so like to go out for a meal to all celebrate together. We let them decide where and one of them mentioned a Chinese in Northampton town centre called Felix Yu on Castillian Street (opposite Sazerac's). Now I'm forever loyal to my absolute favourite Chinese, Wok Inn; If me and my friend Lyn are ever thinking of dinner plans that's our place; we are their most regular clients. However I had heard great things about Felix Yu so put my prejudice aside and heading out on a wet and dark evening.

Let's start with the ordering shall we? After sitting down for 25 minutes we were asked what drinks we wanted. 25 minutes?! Too long if you ask me. After getting a coke which was flat and clearly out of one of those 2 litre bottles and waiting another 20 minutes we were asked for our orders.

We started with platters of mixed hors d'oeuvres which we ate so quickly I didn't get any pictures of. There were amazing sticky ribs, spring rolls and all the other things you'd expect. There was also tofu - none of us had ever tried it before and it was in this sticky sauce and it was so good! Definitely won't turn my nose up again.

The girls then went for some duck but I'm really fussy with duck so gave it a miss.

Two hours after we initially sat down we got our main courses. They were worth the wait.


Singapore Noodles

Cashew Chicken. My favourite.

Beef in Black Bean Sauce. This is the best I have ever tried so far in life.

Sweet & Sour Chicken


Crispy Chilli Beef.



As you can see there was more for food there including some pork belly and yuk sum. We had more than 6 people could possibly eat but somehow managed really well. We know how to eat! 

The food was delicious and some dishes better than Wok Inn but the service did ruin the experience a lot. We weren't asked if we would like more drinks once throughout the meal and we didn't really feel that welcomed. We went on a very quiet weekday evening and perhaps it may be better on a weekend; more people would give it a better atmosphere but then would the service be even slower? 3 hours for 3 courses was too long.

I'm not sure if you like these kind of reviews but I do enjoy eating out and trying local independent restaurants so thought this could be useful to the folk of Northamptonshire? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment